Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Welcome to the Planet

So I know what you're thinking. What is the deal with this scrapbooking craze? What's wrong with slapping pictures in a photo album and calling it a day? What's wrong with just leaving them on the CD, why bother printing them at all? What the heck is CC, LO, LSS, PP? What's a crop and why does it take a U-Haul to go to one? And how in the world did I get roped into this world? I didn't ask for this. WTF is going on?
Oh so many Questions. I'm hoping that this Blog will help give some of you an answer. You've unexpectedly been sent to live on this scrapbooking planet. Whether, it's your wife, or daughter, or sister, or mother, or whoever, if someone in your family or circle of friends is involved in scrapbooking then you, my friend, are involved! Oh yes you are! It may be in a big way, or it may be in a very small way, but you're involved whether you like it or not. So you better deal with that little fact right quick.
Now when I say you know someone involved, I don't mean they have a few books with little corners on their pictures and descriptions underneath. Oh no! I mean this individual has a camera permanently attached to their person, they have entire rooms of their houses dedicated to this hobby. There are signs of this hobby scattered throughout their house. They have an entire group of online friends and talk to them all day about nothing but scrapbooking. They get excited over new lines of paper, now tools, and magazines. They go to weekend retreats dedicated to everything scrapbooking. I mean INVOLVED!
So what is the deal with this hobby? OK in all honesty I can't tell you that. It's like asking a normal person the meaning of life. Ask a scrapper (who is not a normal person..I know cause I am one), why they scrap and you'll get answer like "to preserve memories for my children." Well yes you can do that with a basic photo album, but that doesn't tell a story. Why we scrappers become so obsessed and sucked into this hobby is beyond me. When I first started out, I swore I would never paid $1 for piece of paper. Now I get excited when it's onsale for $0.89. There is just something about the colours, and the products, and the tools that makes a normal bargain shopper like myself go crazy and spend $80 on some paper and a few stickers even though the check engine light remains on in my car. A reasonable person would fix this. But to me, well, if I break down on the highway I'll have my camera, take some pictures and scrap about the experience later. I'm just hoping to help you see this new world through the eyes of a scrapper, beyond the basic question of why we do it. So get over that question and move on. My answer, personally, is that it's a fulfilling hobby, it's something to keep me busy. I love photos, I love taking photos and I like to tell a story with those photos and I think that's better then just shoving them in an album. It's just something I like to do.
So will I be answering all these questions today? NO. where's the fun in that? If you are living on the scrap planet (no one just visits, you're stuck here), you're going to be here for a very long time, so I may as well drag this out! I will post something else today, but as for the rest. Stay tuned and enjoy your stay on Planet Scrap!

No comments: